Sunday, January 2, 2011

White People Celebrating New Year's Eve in China

Chinese people don't really celebrate our New Year's Eve, so the only Chinese people at this bar The Foreigners ended up at were significant others. And Mr. Tang---I still haven't figured out how he fits into the group :) .


 
Scott hugging Mr. Tang after Mr. Tang insisted they were not "comrades," because he, like a good socially-conservative Chinese man, does not like comrades. The old school word for "comrade" is the same, modern word for homosexual :D .


 Tiffany and Scott are married; they're from Kansas. In an attempt to get me to smile nice, Scott suggested an image for me to think of that I did not appreciate.

 This was in a showcase in the bar. The price tag says ¥368.00, which is like, $55.00, so, you know, if the prices on the Louis Vuitton site are any indication, this is a definite knock-off.


You can drink on the streets in China! And as a passenger in the cars. I brought along a beer to get photo of me in a taxi:

I AM NOT DRUNK I AM NOT DRUNK I AM NOT DRUNK I AM NOT DRUNK
I feel it necessary to emphasize my sobriety because as we were trying to get a nice photo ["No, that won't work---I want Christmas card quality!"] we realized exactly how hard it is to take a close proximity picture of someone drinking that doesn't make them look sloshed.

1 comment:

Stephanie E said...

It's like being in Vegas all the time! Besides the inasane amount of consumerism and gambling... so pretty much China and Vegas is drinking...