Tuesday, January 11, 2011

[shudder]

I do not appreciate being able to look animal food in the face, especially if it is a living, breathing face. I realize the "distance" between us and our food is at the root of a lot of societal/environmental/etc. issues, but since I put effort into being on top of meat consumption matters, I am pretty okay with this particular white, suburban, affectation of mine. Yesterday was the first and last time I will willingly walk through the live food section of the grocery store:

Doing okay: 'It's only shrimp and fish...'
Really? People eat goldfish? Like...as an appetizer or something?


A little more uncomfortable, but still okay: toads are victims of the Bigger ≠ Cuter law of the universe. 
Also, snails; bleh.


'Aaaaand, that's the end of that---I'm out of here.' Those are turtles in the top cases. Turtles trying to escape.


In unrelated news, here's a not-very-good photo of me hand-wrestling with the cute, rambunctious kitten that lives at a local coffee shop:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder why he got your attention...