Friday, May 18, 2012

Shaanxi Museum


The Shaanxi museum was good, but not necessarily great. However, you should know, that's entirely a personal opinion, based upon the fact that,
1. Ancient relics aren't really my thing.
2. At this point I've probably seen more stone statues and carvings than most people will ever see. And I don't even care about stone carvings.
3. I've been to the British Museum and the Pergamon Museum. It's pretty hard to top that. [I know, how snobby, right?! ;D]


I had to take photos with the flash off, so here are the blurry highlights:

An "Education Base of Patriotism" museum!
  


This was pretty cool. Can you see the skull?
Look again.
 


 I took a photo of this because I thought, How on earth could you know it's supposed to be a unicorn hoof?!


But then later, I saw this statue, and I guess Chinese unicorns are notable for their perfectly round hooves? I guess?
 


A 14-faced seal.
The information plate read, Its owner was the famous minister of Western Wei Dynasty Dugu Xin. The 14 square faces bear engraved characters indicating different functions or titles such as “Humble Xin Presents a Letter to your Majesty,” “Seal of Commander-in-Chief”, “Seal of Supervisor-in-Chief”, “Seal of Regional Inspector”, “Regular Script”, “Dugu Xin’s Handwriting”, “Order”, “Secret”, etc. … The Seal suggests the important and powerful status of the owner.
The "secret" label makes me laugh for obvious reasons.
 


 His dude is hilarious!!!!!!
 
  


I was also pretty delighted with this miniature army.
 There are more than 300 pieces.


Apparently, each man's role and tools (drum-and-gong carrier, archer, sedan carrier, fan man, etc.) is written on the bottom of his pedestal.

No comments: