Thursday, May 17, 2012

Muslim District: Food


I'm not an adventurous eater (and I'm very fine with that, thank you) but I did have a good time trying out the some of the eats the Muslim district had to offer.

Green bean (or pea ?) "cake" with raisins

 This is a little difficult to describe. It was if someone turned peas into a course flour, mixed in some sugar, water, and raisins, and then compressed it into a square. It wasn't bad, and I recommend at least trying it if you ever have the chance, but it kind of messes with your mind to eat a mouthful of green bean flavored flour.

Fried persimmon-filled donut-thing

Sticky, greasy, and sickly sweet. It'd fit in well with fair food.


Juice made from asian pears, Chinese dates, wolf berries, and sugar.
Tasty until I remembered that I probably shouldn't be drinking more than was necessary to stay hydrated. You do not want to have to make an unscheduled, emergency bathroom stop in China.

Paper-thin pastry filled with meat, then fried.
 Awesome. Period.

 Handmade noodles, beef, and pickled vegetables.
 Excellent!! This included some mystery ingredient that made my tongue feel cold.

[on the lower left] rice-jelly cubes cooked in oil
 Bleh. Bland, weird texture, and oily. In retrospect, I should have anticipated that this'd be a no-go.

Salty mutton soup with bits of heavy flatbread.
It took me until my last day to try this, because I'm not a soggy bread person, but it's the most recommended dish for travelers, so I finally gave in. 
It was seriously the best thing I ate all week!!! The bread was so dense that it was more like chunks of noodles, and the flavor of the soup was fantastic.

No comments: