Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stroke Order Matters. Mostly.

There is a correct way to write each Chinese character; the general rule is left to right, then top to bottom.  Here's an example of the character for "eternal" I found on the internet:


Because I'm usually copying from text, I can't determine stroke order (also, I wouldn't really know it anyway) (also also, sometimes it doesn't make sense: see how 4 branches off of 5, yet 4 is, well, before 5?), so my strategy has been to write the longest lines first, then fill in the smaller ones. From adults this earns laughs; from children it earns me a lesson in writing the character properly.
It took me a while to understand why my writing got a reaction at all---as long as a person can read the character (which they can), who cares how I write it?

No one; it's just odd. It'd be like writing the word "arranged," "-ed" first,  then adding the "-rr-", then both the "a"'s, and finishing by filling in the "-ng-". So odd.

No comments: