Tuesday, March 13, 2012

English Songs & Chinese Karaoke

Like the rest of Asia, Chinese people looove karaoke, aka KTV. Here are the four most* popular English songs, ones it seems every Chinese person must have in their KTV repertoire:


Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
   [It's official: everyone on Earth loves the song about a coal mining Union state.]



My Heart Will Go On -  Celine Dion
   [I've mentioned this before.]


Sailing - Rod Stewart
   [I'm pretty sure I never heard this song before I came to China, but since it's Rod Stewart, I wouldn't put money on that bet.]



Yesterday, Once More - The Carpenters
   [I swear to good money that I've never in my life heard this song before I came to China.]






*Conclusion solely based on the untold number of times I've gotten to sit through awful renditions of each song (at KTV and non-KTV venues/functions) until I noticed a pattern.

1 comment:

Christel said...

So funny! I've totally watched an anime that had Country Roads in it!!! Apparently, Japan also loves John Denver... And yeah, I've NEVER heard "Yesterday, Once More" --WTF?