Monday, March 19, 2012

I admit, I'm intrigued as to how that'd work


For those of you who don't remember, I use a computer program (a VPN) that makes it so my computer registers as being located in the US, and thus is not subject to the online limitations of Chinese citizens. I can connect through proxy networks in different states, each with its own quirks. For example, if I connect to Atlanta, GA, stupid facebook makes me go through a security process every time I want to sign in, because it "doesn't recognize my computer." And if I'm connected to the Seattle or San Diego proxies, I can't always access the Chinese dictionary I like.

Usually, however, everything works great and the only thing noticeable is that sites' user-specific content will be different depending on where a site thinks I am. Like the notice t-shirt site, threadless, shows if I'm using the Seattle proxy:


But, amusingly, and for reasons I can only guess at, the Utah proxy doesn't even bother registering a fabricated location:
 

No comments: