Monday, February 20, 2012

Names, Part I: I have the coolest Chinese name ever!!!

 When I took Chinese in the fall I had to come up with a Chinese name. 
 I'd already chosen my last name of course, 万 / Wàn, which I quickly settled on because of all the syllabic-options that sound congruous, 万 means "10,000," so I thought that was appropriate on account of the preexisting surname numerical pun. 



 But for my first name, surveying lists of possible female names turned up nothing so inspired. Pressed for time, I went for practical and chose 巧 / Qiǎo because it sounds vaguely like the first syllable of Chelsea. [This is easier to demonstrate via speech/audio, but if you think of /ow/ like in "now", then it's sort of like, chee-ow = che-el.] In the end it was a nonfunctional point, since in Chinese, the surname comes first, and the given name follows, so I was always addressed as Wàn Qiǎo.



 So not only were my operative intentions for my name futile, but practicality also earned me a name that, since it means "clever" and "skillful," is common and a little boring, according to the students I ran it by to ensure its suitability. 

I'd been using my name for about a month when, Melody, one of the Chinese tutors at my school, mentioned that qiǎo is usually used to describe someone who is skilled at making stuff with their hands. How appropriate is that?!?!?!

No comments: