Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chinese Bayberries

You may remember that my previous encounter with Chinese bayberries was unpleasant. But you probably don't, so I will remind you: they were dried, they were soaked in black licorice flavoring, and they were awful.


Fresh Chinese bayberries are in season now, and I was anticipating trying them in their original, unperverted form.


They taste almost exactly like strawberries, with a little cranberry thrown in. Texture was like nothing I can describe though. It's like... you know how orange segments are made up of little...juice pockets? Each tiny bump on the bayberry is actually the tip of a long fibrous-juice-pocket-thingy attached to the pit at the center. It makes for a very odd feeling pulp.

If you enlarge the photo, you might be able to see what I'm trying to describe.


Verdict: fresh Chinese bayberries are a fun, tasty fruit. I give them a definite A grade.

No comments: