Monday, April 11, 2011

Fool me once- 'These are weird'; fool me twice- 'Aw damn!'; fool me three times- 'What the hell man?!'

I only wanted some dried fruit!

I haven't been super adventurous in the grocery store because I don't want to waste money, and I don't want to waste food. But since I've started collecting a paycheck (and stopped having to put that paycheck toward supplies) I thought I'd sample the vast array of dried fruits available.

I started with Chinese bayberries, also called wax berries.


They were pretty unpleasant: they'd been soaked in some kind of wretched indescribable flavoring, like licorice and cinnamon. And they had pits. I had to chew/suck the fruit off. The fruit itself had a grainy texture which I actually liked, but not enough to overcome the gross taste. I tossed them.

---

A few days ago I was once again looking through the dried fruit options when I saw dried peaches. I LOVE dried peaches, so I snatched them up. I didn't read the ingredients because, why would I?


Answer? Because there's cayenne pepper powder on them. They weren't awful, but they weren't good either, because they weren't what I wanted. They still aren't.

---

Take Three.

Plums are extremely popular around here. Thus, if one desires dried/preserved plums, one can obtain them in a multitude of varieties. I chose some that had a good color, and looked dry (I like my dried fruit to be dry, rather than the more juicy kind). Also, they were small, so I figured they'd been pitted.


As with the peaches, I didn't bother to read the ingredients. They looked harmless enough. My trust was repaid with perverse contempt. They rank among one of most disgusting things I've eaten here. Someone who likes licorice and evil might enjoy them, but oh-dear-god I do not and did not! And to add insult to injury, they weren't even pitted!


Why Aberrant Fruit Deity? Why?!

You know what it says under Ingredients on the raisins I buy? "Grapes." Because that's all it should say!
Seriously, it even says it in English, which is uncommon. [So, technically, it says "Grape."]

The information department was kind enough to make sure a few helpful tips were included as well!

No comments: