Saturday, April 16, 2011

Summer? What the heck happened to spring?

It was blazing yesterday [Friday]!!! Apparently the gratifyingly mild weather we had in March constitutes spring in Yancheng, because the last couple days have been what Pacific Northwesters consider summer weather. It's anyone's guess if the heat will stick around for a significant period of time, since, like in many coastal cities, Yancheng weather is appropriately characterized by the cliche, "don't like the weather? just wait five minutes..." And if it is here to stay, I wonder how long it will take for the heat to turn from dry to the wet, muggy nightmare all the resident foreigners dread. I am not looking forward to trying to keep my clothes from molding.

I spent the afternoon wandering around a neighborhood I hadn't visited before, taking photos of people going about their day in the swelter.

pineapple cart


 
She/he was so cute, I had to interrupt her/his snooze on the counter of a newspaper stand.



Groups of people always play cards on the sidewalk outside their shops, but I especially like the snazzy guy in the back-center of this group.

A san lun che (three-wheeled vehicle [rickshaw]) driver waiting for some business.


There were, like, six people crowded into this shop watching the tv, in addition to the few people outside.

this guy's waving, not telling me off :)


No comments: