Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It never even occured to me!

This Saturday, my throat was soar and my sinuses were a little clogged. But my body didn't feel sick. And because I can't remember ever experiencing this before, it wasn't until late in the day when it dawned on me what the problem might be. See if you can guess...


Here's a photo of the usual view out my office window:


The usual view on a nice day.


And here's photo of Saturday's view:


Sorry the angle is slightly different.


You can't see beyond two blocks, and even thought blocks in Yancheng are big, some of those buildings in the first photo are, like, seven or eight blocks out.


The smoke from the fields in the county was so bad that it affected me, and I don't have a history of lung-related issues! It was so bad, that when Tiffany and I walked into a mall*, it looked like this:


Hand to god, there was no manipulation of this photo.


Out of curiosity, I looked up field burning and Eastern Washington (I know! I forget it exists, too!). Turns out, you have to have a permit to burn your field, and whether or not you're given that permit depends on things like the weather, and who else is already scheduled to burn. Because, "By burning only on days with good ventilation, people are less likely to smoke out neighbors and other people."


Good call.





*Yes, that's correct, not "the" mall, but "a" mall---one of many already built, being built, or planed to be built in the one city. They build malls like we build stripmalls. Also, they build stripmalls.

No comments: