Friday, September 23, 2011

Mooncakes? Meh.

Last week, on the 12th, China celebrated Mid-Autumn Festival by giving me the day off.

The gourmet specialty of Mid-Autumn Festival is the mooncake. I sampled three kinds.


 L-R: pear, red bean, & pumpkin.


The one filled with red bean paste was labeled 豆沙, which literally translates into  "bean sand" :D .

pear, red bean, & pumpkin
Mooncakes are like less-than-excellent fig newtons. (Maybe you'd say that fig newtons are less-than-excellent fig newtons, but I happen to like them, especially the raspberry ones.) As you can see, they're cake-like shells filled with very dense, lackluster paste of whatever filling. 
And I am not alone in my dissatisfaction. Estimating that I see 75 different students a week, I'd say only about 10% of them said they liked mooncakes.

~

One last thing: I don't have photos of it, but I unknowingly had a bite of a mooncake with some sort of egg yolk in it, and it was foul!!! As well as fowl.
ba-dum-dum-tssssssh!

1 comment:

Stephanie E said...

less-than-excellent fig newtons... and not many like fig newtons. Hope you didn't waste too many calories on bean sand. :)