Friday, June 3, 2011

Just Say No to durians!

Nancy Reagan hosts the First Ladies Conference on Durian Awareness at the White House, 1985. The conference was concluded prematurely as the smell of the subject matter became too overwhelming for the attendees.


I kid, I kid. You should definitely try durian if you have the chance, and experience the yuckiness for yourself.

The price dropped significantly, so I finally bought a piece of durian.


Here it is, ready to have the seed removed, and looking sooo delectable:


The thing about the durian is, people say its flavor is hard to describe. But the minute I took a bite, I knew exactly what it tastes like. Papaya soaked in onions, with a hint of garlic. Exactly like that. It was pretty darned gross, although I can kind of see it being worked into some sort of a savory dish. Maybe.
I even froze it, because I heard that made the flavor milder or better or not repugnant or something, but it was still just as gross.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Huh. I'd ALWAYS heard that they stunk but if you could get past that they tasted fabulous. Thanks for correcting that misinfo, now I won't need to trek to The Great Wall in Renton to find out for myself.

We're finally getting SUN in the PacNW. And, the weekend is almost here!

Love, Aunt Em